Monday, January 25, 2016

But what if I am totally, completely broke??

So this post is for people who have literally just enough money for food, and that is all.

Everyone says you need to save money, you need a retirement, you need health insurance, and on and on, but when it comes down to it, all you have is enough for the food you eat, and the gas to get back and forth to work, if you even have a car.

The stark reality in America today, is that any of us can find ourselves unemployed at anytime. What about that? What can someone do if they literally fight for every dollar and have nothing to show for it at the end of the day? What if they really have nothing to put on the table?

So, tonight I went to Wal-Mart and Frys. I bought the following groceries:

1 tomato
1 onion
1 carrot
1 banana
1 apple
1 package of bacon
1 Glade warmer (I used a .50 printable coupon)
 two Twix King Size bars (I used a $1 off 2 printable coupon)

I paid  $5.75 total for everything

I signed up yesterday for both the Mobi and Ibotta apps.

I will get back the following:

.25 rebate for the banana at Ibotta
.30 rebate for the banana at Mobisave
$2 bonus rebate for turning in two rebates at Ibotta
.30 rebate for the onion on Ibotta
.25 rebate for the carrot at Ibotta
.25 rebate for the tomato at Ibotta
.30 rebate for the apple on Mobisave
$1 rebate for the Glad plugin warmer (I used a printable coupon for .50 off the $1.38 price at Wal-Mart)

I will get back $4.65 via rebate for all of my purchases tonight.

My total cost for all of this after everything is $1.10.

I take any rebate checks I get and I place them in a savings account that earns 4.9% interest.

Where is there an account that pays that much you ask?

The one I am using is a Brinks account. It is a attached to one of those pay as you go credit cards. You have to deposit $500 from either direct deposit or a government entity to open the savings account. I am depositing $500 of my tax return to get the saving account activated.

The good thing about it is the money is only available via the card. If you are serious you can freeze that card in a block of ice so you can't use it unless you truly have an emergency and truly plan ahead.

If you sign up using my referral code and order a card (for free) and deposit $40 to it, we each get $20. Not a bad start to a lifetime of frugal habits and a savings plan that is actually something almost anyone can do, and not a bad place to start.

Here is my code:   4117730626

Anyone really can save, if they really want to (and I am learning this now, imagine if I knew all of this at age 20!).





No comments:

Post a Comment